Thursday, April 15, 2021

MTV Spring Break: Hanna Brothers

Wheel lines.  Ug.
 The closest I ever came to having an MTV-style spring break was a few years ago we took our kids to Disney World and then stayed a few days in Daytona Beach.  Daytona Beach?  I grew up in the 80s and I watched a lot of MTV.  I knew what coastal Florida looked like in mid-spring, and it definitely was not a place to take kids.  Hoards of drunken college students blowing off steam?  This was the best (or worst) idea ever.  I couldn't wait.  Then we got there.  Apparently, Daytona Beach hasn't been a cool spring break hangout since about the time I quit watching MTV.  The closest thing we saw to mayhem were the cheerleaders there for a national competition as they practiced their routines on the beach.

My helper.
In college I never went anywhere for spring break.  My friends all headed south to Lake Havasu but I was always broke by Easter so I came home to the work on the ranch for a week and make enough money to get me to summer.  Things haven't changed much since then and we usually don't go too far during break.  This year was no exception.  I fed a lot of cows and started up wheel lines because of this unusually dry spring.  The kids tagged along in the feed truck with me.  The excitement was that we started working to fix up a set of corrals, and that's really depressing that that was the highlight.  Almost.  

The real highlight is our version of Friday Night Lights.  Every Friday the Drill Team meets up at the Pleasure Park to practice.  The parents drink buckskins and grill and it's become a spring tradition.  I'll probably expand on this later (mostly on the choice to name a rodeo arena "Pleasure Park"), but it was a perfect way to wrap up spring break.  MTV would never air a Spring Break: Hanna Bros. edition, but I don't think I'd want it any other way. 

No comments: